January 25, 2019 – Vaughan, Ontario
MP Deb Schulte hosts Minister of Small Business at Town Hall in Vaughan
Small businesses make up 98% of all Canadian businesses and employ over 8 million hard-working Canadians from coast to coast to coast. They are restaurants, shops, provide the services we love, and they are the backbone of our economy.
To help small business succeed, the Government of Canada is launching money saving initiatives that will allow Canadian small businesses to become more productive, more competitive and to help them to cope with recent changes. On January 1st 2019 the Government lowered the small business tax rate to 9% and is undertaking steps to reduce red tape, in addition to helping small businesses start up, scale up and access new markets.
This was the message Mary Ng, Minister for Small Business and Export Promotion, delivered alongside her York Region colleagues; Member of Parliament Deb Schulte (King-Vaughan), MP Francesco Sorbara (Vaughan – Woodbridge) and MP Majid Jowhari (Richmond Hill). The town hall provided an important opportunity for small business representatives to share their concerns and for the Government of Canada to showcase its commitment to supporting local small businesses.
The town hall was hosted in conjunction with the King and Vaughan Chamber’s of Commerce.
“This is a small business–friendly government that is working hard to reduce red tape and make it easier for Canadian small business owners to start up, scale up and access new markets. When Canadian small businesses succeed, our economy grows and middle-class jobs are created.”
-The Honourable Mary Ng, Minister of Small Business and Export Promotion
“The small business community in King and Vaughan is the backbone of our local economy and this town hall provided an excellent opportunity for small business leaders to share their concerns and hear how the Government of Canada can be a strong partner in their success.”
-Deb Schulte, Member of Parliament for King-Vaughan and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Revenue
“It is great to see the Minister listening to the needs of a small rural community. By combining with the larger Vaughan community the Minister will see many issues are common between an urban and rural setting, however a few significant ones differ.”
-Tom Allen, President of King Chamber of Commerce
“We are constantly hearing from small business owners on their challenges related to the regulatory and tax burden. We are pleased that Minister Ng as well as MP Deb Schulte and MP Francesco Sorbara, are consulting our members and the broader Vaughan small business community on what the Canadian Government can do to address those concerns.”
– Brian Shifman, President & CEO of Vaughan Chamber of Commerce
- Small and medium-sized enterprises (SME) account for the vast majority of businesses in Canada—99.8%. These 1.1 million SMEs employ 90% of the private sector workforce (10.7 million Canadians) and are responsible for 52% of Canadian GDP generated by private sector businesses.
- Our government is lowering the small business tax rate to 9% in 2019, the lowest among G7 countries
- To help SMEs find funding, advice and information, the Government launched Innovation Canada, an online one-stop shop for business owners.
- The Government is helping SMEs expand into new markets abroad—and reach over 1 billion new customers—by promoting export through the negotiation and implementation of free trade agreements such as the Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) and the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP).
- Innovation and Skills Plan
- Canadian Trade Commissioner Service
- Accelerated Growth Service
- Industrial Research Assistance Program
- Innovative Solutions Canada
- Venture Capital Catalyst Initiative
- Women Entrepreneurship Strategy
- Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement
- Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership
- Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement
Office of MP Deb Schulte