November 15, 2018
Vaughan MPs Co-Host Roundtable with Latin American and Hispanic Community Leaders
[Maple, Ontario] – Deb Schulte, Member of Parliament for King-Vaughan and Francesco Sorbara, Member of Parliament for Vaughan – Woodbridge, co-hosted a roundtable discussion at Vaughan City Hall with leaders from the Latin American and Hispanic communities. The two Vaughan MPs met with representatives from Fuerza Latina Community Services, members of the Canadian Hispanic Congress and the Consul General of Ecuador, Katerine Romero, to share information on important government programs and to identify specific issues and needs within the Latino and Hispanic communities in the Greater Toronto Area. The discussion outlined recent government programs to improve opportunities and services for families and the middle class, and then the attending stakeholders shared the current challenges facing their communities. The roundtable was very productive and will contribute to the Government of Canada’s efforts to offer support to our Latin American and Hispanic communities, now and into the future. A second roundtable is being planned for early in the New Year.
“I am delighted to be able to support the work of important organizations like Fuerza Latina Community Services and the Canadian Hispanic Congress. Ensuring that our increasingly multicultural communities are supported and able to reach their full potential is a priority for our Government.”
– Deb Schulte, Member of Parliament for King – Vaughan and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Revenue
“I am grateful to our local Latin American and Hispanic community leaders for adding their voices to our discussion, so that we may continue build on current government efforts to serve our growing Latino- Hispanic communities in Vaughan and Canada.”
– Francesco Sorbara, Member of Parliament for Vaughan – Woodbridge
“As a leading provider of services to Latino American – Hispanic Canadians from over 20 countries, Fuerza Latina is able to see the challenges and needs of our underserved community first-hand. It is essential to have our voices heard under one united effort. We look forward to working with our government to propel our organization forward so that we may continue serving our community.”
– Gina Balseca, President and Founder of Fuerza Latina Community Services
- Fuerza Latina Community Services is an important community service organization that empowers Latin American youth and their families by promoting well-being through culture, sports, and support groups in Vaughan.
- The Canadian Hispanic Congress is a national organization established to represent the interests of approximately one million Spanish-speaking people with family origins in more than twenty different countries, now living in Canada. The CHC is a non-profit corporation, run by an all-volunteer board of Directors and expert contributors, focused on matters of importance and interest to the Hispanic Community.
- The Community Support, Multiculturalism, and Anti-Racism Initiatives Program supports the mandate of the Department of Canadian Heritage by building on Canada’s strength as a diverse and inclusive society. The Program’s objective is to build an integrated, socially cohesive society by: building bridges to promote intercultural understanding; promoting equal opportunity for individuals of all origins; and promoting citizenship, civic engagement and a healthy democracy.
Office of MP Deb Schulte