October 11, 2018
Minister of Canadian Heritage Meets with Fuerza Latina Community Services in Vaughan
[Maple, Ontario] – In a three day tour of Southern Ontario, The Honourable Pablo Rodriguez Minister of Canadian Heritage and Multiculturalism met with MP Deb Schulte and representatives from Fuerza Latina Community Services, as part of a stakeholder engagement process that will lead towards the development of a federal anti-racism plan, as well as activities related to Latin American Heritage Month. The attending members of Fuerza Latina Community Services had the opportunity to discuss their programs for empowering youth, families and seniors in the Vaughan community with the Minister. These services are in addition to the events they organize throughout the year that celebrate Hispanic and Latino culture. The roundtable proved to be an opportunity for the Federal Government to directly engage with local stakeholders and to listen to their concerns, as part of a larger strategy to determine the most efficient way to offer support to our communities in the future.
“Our country is stronger when Canadians of all backgrounds contribute to our society, when no one is left behind. For fifteen years, Fuerza Latina has been doing tremendous work to help young Canadians reach their full potential. They have hosted the very successful Vaughan Latin Festival for the past four years, a festival our Government is proud to support. I was happy to have the opportunity to meet with Fuerza Latina and to discuss the great work they do in the community.”
– The Honourable Pablo Rodriguez, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Multiculturalism
“I am delighted to be able to support the work of important community groups like Fuerza Latina Community Services. Ensuring our increasingly diverse, multicultural communities are supported and strong is a priority for our Government. Thanks to Gina and her dynamic team we get to celebrate the Latino and Hispanic culture right here in the City of Vaughan, especially during October, which has recently been designated National Latin American Heritage Month.
– Deb Schulte, Member of Parliament for King-Vaughan and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Revenue
“Fuerza Latina had the great honour to meet with the Minister of Canadian Heritage & Multiculturalism, the Hon. Pablo Rodríguez. He was interested in learning more about the work Fuerza Latina is doing for our Latin American youth, seniors and families in Vaughan. We look forward to working together to help enhance the Latino community through Community Support, Multiculturalism and Anti-Racism Initiatives Programs.”
– Gina Balseca, President & Founder of Fuerza Latina Community Services
- Fuerza Latina Community Services is an important community service organization that empowers Latin American youth and their families by promoting well-being through culture, sports, and support groups in Vaughan.
- The month of October is recognized as National Latin American Heritage Month. Given the increasing diversity in Canadian society, and the strong and growing presence of individuals of Latin American ancestry, formal recognition of the Latin American Heritage Month recognizes the important contributions they have made in Canada.
- The Community Support, Multiculturalism, and Anti-Racism Initiatives Program supports the mandate of the Department of Canadian Heritage by building on Canada’s strength as a diverse and inclusive society. The Program’s objective is to build an integrated, socially cohesive society by: building bridges to promote intercultural understanding; promoting equal opportunity for individuals of all origins; and promoting citizenship, civic engagement and a healthy democracy.
Office of MP Deb Schulte